Quick Tomato Sauce
This tomato sauce -- rich in beneficial lycopene -- tastes great over pasta, fish, or grilled chicken. It can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Photography: Krause, Johansen
Source: Body+Soul, January/February 2006
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- Coarse salt
In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes and juice, wine, oregano, and basil. Simmer 8 minutes or until lightly thickened. Season with salt to taste.