Salade a la Grecque with Grilled Chicken
This salad inspired by the flavors of Greece includes tomatoes, feta cheese, red onion, and Kalamata olives. The dressing combines olive oil, lemon juice, and oregano.
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, July/August 2005
- Sea salt and ground pepper, for seasoning
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Salad
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and diced
- 1 pint medium cherry or grape tomatoes (halved if large)
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, washed and dried
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, washed and dried
- 16 medium-sized Kalamata olives
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges
For the Protein
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill, turning once until cooked, about 12 minutes total. Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oregano garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Place the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red pepper, onion, parsley, and mint in a large bowl; add 1/2 cup dressing, toss to coat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide salad and mound on four individual dinner plates or wide shallow bowls; sprinkle with olives and feta. Slice chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips and fan out on top of individual salads. Place lemon wedge on each plate and serve immediately.