To add more protein to this vegetarian dish, fold drained and rinsed canned black beans into the rice mixture. Or serve it with Soupy Black Beans.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2005
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 4 bell peppers (red and yellow), ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1-inch-long thin strips
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 ounces baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 burrito-size tortillas (10-inch)
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/3 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in rice and chipotle. Return to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover; cook until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until dry, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Meanwhile, in a roasting pan, toss bell peppers and carrots with oil and chili powder. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are fork-tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; toss with spinach to wilt.
Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Dividing rice, cheese, and vegetables equally among tortillas, wrap burritos. Serve with salsa, if desired.