Elizabeth Schoonover's Stuffed Mushrooms
These tasty stuffed mushrooms, from Elizabeth Schoonover of Vienna, Virginia, are ideal appetizers for holiday parties.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2004
- 3 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread (3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup finely grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 40 medium white button mushrooms (about 1 pound), stemmed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse bread until fine crumbs form (you should have about 1 cup). In a large bowl, toss breadcrumbs with cheese, parsley, and garlic; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Using one hand, dip a mushroom in melted butter to coat completely; transfer to breadcrumb mixture. With other hand, stuff mushroom with filling, patting some mixture on bottom and sides. Place, stemmed sides up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat until all the mushrooms are stuffed.
Bake until golden brown and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a serving dish.