Fresh Ginger Cake
This spice cake is good with lightly sweetened whipped cream; it can also be sprinkled with minced Candied Ginger.
- Total Time:
Source: Everyday Food, December 2004
- 8 ounces (two 6-inch pieces) fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse ginger until finely chopped (or chop by hand). You should have 1 cup.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, molasses, and eggs until smooth. Whisk in butter and 1/3 cup hot water. Stir in flour mixture just until incorporated; stir in ginger.
Generously coat a nonstick 3-quart Bundt pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around edge of cake; then invert. Dust with confectioners' sugar before slicing.