Red Beans with Rice
Slow cooking allows the bacon, thyme and leek flavors to seep into the rice and beans.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, December 2004
- 1 leek halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise, and washed well
- 1 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans
- Ground pepper
- 4 slices bacon (or 6 ounces salt pork)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Coarse salt
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups cooked white rice
In a 5-quart slow cooker, combine beans, bacon, leek, celery, thyme, and 6 cups water. Cover; cook on high setting until beans are tender, about 4 hours (do not uncover while cooking).
Stir in bell pepper; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover; continue cooking until bell pepper is tender, about 20 minutes more.
To serve, discard bacon slices, if desired; stir in 2 cups cooked white rice.