Lamb Koftas with Cucumber Raita
Soothing cucumber and mint raita complements ground-lamb koftas with Indian spices.
- Yield: Makes 3 dozen hors d'oeuvres
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Cucumber Raita for Lamb Koftas
Place onion, ginger, and garlic in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add mint, cilantro, garam masala, salt, and pepper; pulse until finely chopped, scraping sides as needed. Add egg and lamb; process until fully combined, scraping down sides as needed.
Shape mixture into 1-inch balls; flatten into patties. Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat; add oil. When hot, add patties in batches; cook until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
Insert a toothpick or skewer into each patty; place on a platter. Serve with raita, and garnish with fresh mint sprigs.