Jazz up plain old tuna salad by rolling it up in a wrap. You can create a Waldorf or Classic tuna-salad variation by adding one of the combinations of ingredients below to the basic recipe.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2004
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato based chili sauce
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) drained water-packed solid white tuna
- 4 pieces lavash (Middle Eastern bread) or sandwich wraps
- Green-leaf lettuce
To make Waldorf Wrap variation (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped red apple
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup dried currants
To make Classic Wrap variation (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped cornichons
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
Make dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together reduced-fat mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, and tomato-based chili sauce; season generously with coarse salt and ground pepper.
Stir in solid white tuna. Stir in ingredients from either the Waldorf variation or Classic variation, if desired.
Warm lavash or sandwich wraps. Place a leaf of green-leaf lettuce in center of each piece of bread; spoon tuna mixture on top. Fold opposite sides of bread over filling; roll tightly into a cylinder, ending seam side down. With a serrated knife, cut sandwiches in half crosswise.