Chicken Corn Chowder
Using precooked chicken makes this recipe a breeze to prepare on busy weeknights.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May 2004
- 2 strips bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 leftover thyme-roasted chicken, skin removed, meat shredded
- 2 cups leftover roasted potatoes from Easy Thyme-Roasted Chicken with Potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, until crisp and brown, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Add onion and celery to rendered fat in pan; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add flour, and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add milk, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken, potatoes, corn, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with reserved bacon.