Curried Tofu and Green Beans
This recipe has become a favorite in our test kitchen, especially among those of us who were unfamiliar with (or unaware of the many ways of preparing) tofu.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2004
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm or extra-firm tofu, drained well
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
- Cooked white rice, for serving
Halve tofu horizontally and then crosswise to make 4 rectangles. Cut each rectangle into 2 triangles. Press tofu as directed on page 111.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook tofu, turning once, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining tablespoon oil, onion, and curry powder. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add half-and-half and 1/2 cup water; bring to a gentle simmer. Add tofu and green beans. Cover; cook until beans are bright green, about 2 minutes. Uncover; add tomatoes. Cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve over rice.