Goat-Cheese Leek Tart
This tart showcases the thyme flavoring of the goat cheese filling.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, November 2003
- 1 bunch leeks, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced into half-moons and washed well (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 ounces soft goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 store-bought refrigerated pie crust (for a 9-inch pie)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack on lowest shelf. In a medium bowl, toss leeks with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together goat cheese, cream cheese, milk, 2 egg yolks, and thyme. Lightly season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, beat remaining egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash.
Place pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread goat-cheese mixture on crust, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with leeks. Fold edge of dough over filling, pinching folds together to seal. Brush dough with egg wash.
Bake until crust is golden brown, about 1 hour. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into wedges; serve.