Coconut Thai Marinade
This beautiful bright-green marinade is piquant and creamy. Its distinctive flavors are enhanced when grilled.
- Yield: Makes 1 cup, enough for 2 pounds chicken, fish, or shellfish
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small red chile, coarsely chopped
In a blender or food processor, puree ingredients until smooth, about 30 seconds. Arrange meat in a shallow nonreactive dish or resealable plastic bag. Add marinade; rub gently into meat. Cover; refrigerate for time specified below, turning meat occasionally.
Before cooking, remove meat from refrigerator and let it come to a cool room temperature. Cook as desired, basting occasionally with marinade during the first half of cooking.
â€¢Shellfish: 20 minutes
â€¢Cheese, tofu, and vegetables: 30 minutes
â€¢Thin and flaky fish fillets: 30 minutes
â€¢Thick and fatty fish fillets: 1 hour
â€¢Beef, chicken, game, lamb, and pork: 6 to 24 hours