Coconut Cake Filling
Use this recipe to make our Coconut Pecan Cake.
- Yield: Makes enough for 1 nine-inch cake
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2003
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon creamed coconut or unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon pure coconut extract
In a food processor, coarsely grind coconut; set aside. Combine milk, butter, and creamed coconut in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk one-third of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Return mixture to saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until it is the consistency of pudding, about 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat. Stir in the extract and reserved coconut. Let cool completely. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days; let stand at room temperature until soft enough to spread.