Coconut Almond Rice
We serve this creamy rice dish with grilled skewered shrimp and Spicy Lime Dipping Sauce.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2003
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, outer leaves peeled, 3-inch-long piece cut from root end and sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 4 fresh or frozen kaffir lime leaves
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped, plus several sprigs for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine the lemongrass, 1 3/4 cups coconut milk, the water, kaffir lime leaves, and salt. Heat over medium-high heat until milk just begins to simmer. Stir in rice, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover; cook until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Stir in nuts, cilantro, and remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk; season with pepper. Discard lemongrass. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro sprigs.