Fresh Pear and Berry Compote in Red Wine
This compote -- herbed and sweetened red wine poured over pears and berries -- is delicious on its own, but we like to serve it in wine goblets with Almond Tuiles draped over the rims.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2003
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
- 3 small firm but ripe pears, such as Seckel or Bosc, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 large, sweet geranium leaves (pesticide-free) or 1 sprig mint
- 1/2 750-ml bottle (1 2/3 cups) Gamay Beaujolais or other light-bodied fruity red wine
In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, raspberries, and pears.
In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and 1 cup water over medium-high heat until sugar has completely dissolved. Add geranium leaves, and remove from heat. Cover, and let steep 10 minutes.
Stir wine into mixture in pan, and pour over fruit. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 1/2 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.