Grilled Ratatouille Nicoise
A medley of vegetables enlivens this vegetarian side dish. Roasted plum tomatoes provide a splash of color; grilled eggplant and zucchini add smokiness. The other vegetables in the mix -- onions, red and yellow bell peppers, and garlic -- are sauteed, and fresh parsley is folded in before serving.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2003
- 6 medium tomatoes, halved and cored
- Coarse salt
- 2 medium eggplants, trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing vegetables
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 small red onions, halved through the root and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tomatoes skin side down in a roasting pan, and sprinkle with salt. Roast until tomatoes are very soft and lightly browned, about 1 hour. Remove from oven; set aside.
Meanwhile, preheat a charcoal or gas grill. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill until softened, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a large plate. Brush zucchini slices with oil; grill until tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat. Stir in reserved tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper; fold in parsley. Serve drizzled with vinegar.