White Bean and Roasted Red-Pepper Spread
Serve this spread on our Yogurt-Nut Oat Bread or toasted pita.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2003
- 1 large red bell pepper, stem, seeds, and ribs removed
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red-wine or balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Roast pepper over a gas-stove burner, turning with tongs as each section blisters and blackens. (Alternatively, place pepper on a baking sheet and roast under the broiler.) Transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Peel off and discard blackened skin. Roughly chop pepper, reserving collected juices.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine roasted pepper and juices, beans, ginger, chili powder, and vinegar. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 week.