French Lentil Soup
Our substantial lentil soup also includes diced celery, red peppers, carrots, and bulghur wheat. The French green lentil verte de puy holds its shape well when cooked and has a more delicate taste than other varieties do.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2003
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup French green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons bulghur wheat
- 1 1/2 quarts Wild Mushroom Stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place a large saucepan over medium heat, and add oil. Add onion, and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrots, celery, bell pepper, and oregano until combined. Stir in lentils and bulghur wheat.
Add stock to pot; cover, and simmer over low heat just until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.