This vegetarian dish is refrigerated overnight so the flavors can develop.
- Servings: 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2004
- 1 1/2 cups wheat berries or pearl barley
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Cover wheat berries with cold water by 2 inches in a large saucepan. Cover; bring to a boil. Uncover; reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain; transfer to a serving bowl.
Whisk together lemon juice, mustard, honey, salt, and pepper. Pour in oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Drizzle over wheat berries; toss.
Add fennel, cucumbers, celery, scallions, and parsley; toss. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours. Bring to room temperature.