Tangy Corn Salad
A corn salad, with a kick provided by pickled shallots, pays tribute to Indiana corn country.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2004
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 jicama, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup small fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Set the shallots aside in a small bowl. Bring vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour over shallots; let cool.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Cook corn, stirring, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl with bell pepper and jicama; toss.
Transfer shallots to corn mixture with a slotted spoon; reserve vinegar. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice (to taste), and basil. Add reserved vinegar to taste. Season with salt and pepper.