Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2004
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, picked over
- 1/2 white onion, plus more, finely chopped, for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 dried avocado leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried epazote
- 3 fresh cilantro sprigs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled
- Lime wedges, for serving
Cover beans with cold water by 2 inches in a bowl; refrigerate 8 hours.
Drain beans; transfer to a small stockpot. Add onion, garlic, avocado leaves, epazote, and cilantro; cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, adding water as needed to cover beans, until beans are tender and liquid is soupy, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Discard avocado leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with onion, tomatoes, and cheese. Serve with lime wedges.