Corn and Zucchini Fritters
Cheddar cheese, crisp bacon, creamy avocado, and a juicy tomato slice sandwiched between these fritters make a wonderful breakfast or brunch.
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2004
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked ham (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (3 to 4 ears)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cooked bacon, and sliced cheddar cheese, avocado, and tomato, for serving (optional)
Whisk together flour, baking powder, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together butter, eggs, and milk; add to flour mixture, and stir until just combined. Add ham (if desired), zucchini, and corn, and stir until well blended.
Heat 1 inch of oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat until it registers 350 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
Working in batches of 4 or 5, gently drop 2 tablespoons batter into skillet for each fritter, pressing gently with a spatula to flatten. Cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer with a spatula or slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Season fritters with salt and pepper while still hot. Make sandwiches with fritters using bacon, cheese, avocado, and tomato, if desired.