Beet and Mache Salad with Aged Goat Cheese
Jewel-toned beets are marinated in a sherry-orange vinaigrette to temper their sweetness. With mache, a delicate field green, and crackers with goat cheese, the salad makes a lively first course.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2004
- 2 pounds mixed beets, such as red and Chioggia
- Orange Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup fresh chervil leaves
- 3 ounces mache or other tender lettuce
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces Bucheron or other aged goat cheese, room temperature, for serving
- Crackers, for serving
Cover beets with cold water by 2 inches in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool; peel, and halve (quarter if large). Toss with vinaigrette. Let stand 30 minutes.
Toss together chervil and mache. Top with beets and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette from bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with goat cheese and crackers.