Chopped eggplant and mushrooms give a rich flavor and meaty texture to this Mediterranean-style vegetable dish. Serve it with some steamed or boiled rice for a well-balanced meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2003
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, halved
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 can tomato puree (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, eggplant, mushrooms, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant begins to brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
Add zucchini, water, and tomato puree, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in beans, vinegar, and parsley, and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes.