Ratatouille is very versatile. It works equally well as a main course or side dish, and can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature. You can refrigerate it, covered, up to three days.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2004
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 10)
- 2 bell peppers, 1 red and 1 yellow
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, halved and cut into half-moons
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together the eggplant, zucchini, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are golden, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath, and set aside. Cut a small, shallow X in the stem end of each tomato; blanch tomatoes until skins begin to loosen, about 30 seconds. Immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to the ice-water bath.
Drain tomatoes. Remove skins; cut tomatoes into quarters, discarding seeds.
Place one bell pepper at a time on the trivet of a gas-stove burner on high heat; roast, turning occasionally with tongs, until black all over. (Or, broil peppers in a baking pan, turning them occasionally.) Transfer to a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam in bowl until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
Remove skins from peppers. Discard tops and seeds. Cut peppers lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips.
When eggplant and zucchini are done roasting, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep skillet over mediumhigh heat until hot but not smoking. Add garlic and onions; cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and peppers; cook until tomatoes are soft, about 7 minutes. Add eggplant and zucchini, 1/4 cup basil, and remaining tablespoon thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes. Stir in parsley and remaining 1/4 cup basil. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute more.