Making your own vinegar will yield crisp taste and layers of flavor.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 1996
For fresh angelica vinegar:
- Rice-wine vinegar or apple-cider vinegar, as needed
- 2 red stems fresh angelica with leaf tips
For spicebush and garlic-mustard vinegar:
- 1 healthy unpeeled spicebush twig
- 2 sprigs fresh garlic mustard with blossoms and leaves
- Equal amounts apple-cider vinegar and red-wine vinegar, as needed
For wild-violet and ramp vinegar:
- 1/4 cup Violet Syrup
- White vinegar, as needed
- 2 ramps with leaves removed and stems left intact, rinsed clean
- 3 long-stemmed wild violets, for garnish
For each vinegar, place the flavor ingredients in a clean, dry glass bottle. Fill the bottles with the appropriate vinegar, and seal tightly. Steep in a cool, dark place for one week for flavors to develop. After that, keep vinegars for up to 2 weeks, refrigerated.