Crisp Chocolate Cookies
These cookies should keep everyone happy for a few days.
- Yield: Makes about 16 large cookies
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 1996
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon. Set mixture aside.
Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Add flour mixture; mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Chill at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp but not darkened. Cool on wire racks; decorate as desired.