Crispy Rice with Mushrooms and Carrots
Use our Simple White Rice as the base for this spicy dish that works for brunch, lunch, and dinner.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2010
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Sriracha), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt
- 14 ounces shiitake or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into thin strips or grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 3 cups Simple White Rice
- 4 large eggs, sunny side up, for serving
In a small bowl, combine hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil. In a large nonstick skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add hot-sauce mixture and rice and cook, stirring, until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
Using the back of a spoon, flatten rice mixture and increase heat to high. Cook until bottom begins to brown and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Divide among four plates; top each with an egg and serve with more hot sauce if desired.