Microwave "Baked" Beans
Bacon, chopped onions, ketchup, and molasses provide a rich sauce for these "baked" beans, which are prepared entirely in the microwave. They're the perfect accompaniment to hot dogs or hamburgers.
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2008
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
In a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish with a lid, stir together bacon and onion. Microwave on high, uncovered, until onion is tender and bacon has rendered some fat, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in beans, ketchup, molasses, mustard powder, and 1/3 cup water. Cover and microwave until beans are tender and liquid has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in vinegar, and serve alongside hot dogs or burgers.