Spicy Chicken Pasta
This one-pot dinner is all about efficiency: The chicken cooks with the pasta, then garlic, lemon juice, and red-pepper flakes add zest to a one-minute sauce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 1
Source: Everyday Food, June 2008
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup penne rigate (ridged) or other short pasta
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 cups baby spinach (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook penne until al dente, adding chicken during last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta water. Drain pasta and chicken; return to pot.
To pot, add tomato, tomato paste, garlic, oil, red-pepper flakes, and spinach; season with salt. Cook over medium, tossing, until spinach is barely wilted, about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat; stir in lemon juice and enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Season with salt, if necessary, and serve immediately.