Spicy Pickled Carrots
Pickled vegetables make a tasty addition to sandwiches and salads.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2008
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 jalapeno chiles (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 packed tablespoon fresh oregano, or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until onion is crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and refrigerate until cold, about 3 hours; serve with a slotted spoon. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.