Quick Fish Chowder
You'll appreciate every spoonful of this easy bacon-spiked stew, stirred up in the microwave.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May 2008
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small orange or yellow bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped
- 1 celery stalk, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 2 skinless cod fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Place bacon and onion in a 2-quart microwave-safe dish with a lid. Microwave on high, uncovered, until bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in bell pepper, celery, and potato; season with salt and pepper. Cover, and microwave on high until celery is crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes (with their juice) and clam juice; cover, and microwave until liquid is hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
Season fish with salt and pepper; place in dish on top of vegetables. Cover, and microwave on high until fish is almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes to finish cooking. Flake fish with a fork, and add parsley; stir to combine chowder.