Mini Corn Cakes with Scallions
Serve up these little bites on Derby Day with our Bourbon Mint Tea.
- Yield: Makes 24
Source: Everyday Food, May 2008
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 scallions, whites minced, greens thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Sour cream, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat two 12-cup mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine corn, milk, egg, sugar, scallion whites, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cayenne. Stir in cornmeal and flour.
Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into prepared muffin pans. Bake until cakes are just set in the center, 8 to 10 minutes. Loosen with a table knife, and remove from pans. Serve corn cakes immediately, garnished with sour cream and scallion greens.