Chicken-Sausage and Asparagus Saute over Cheese Grits
A quick toss of sausage and vegetables turns luxurious on a bed of creamy grits.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 1
Source: Everyday Food, May 2008
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 precooked chicken sausage, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grits or yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons crumbled fresh goat cheese
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high. Cook sausage until browned, tossing occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Cook onion until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add asparagus, thyme, and 1/3 cup water. Cover, and steam until asparagus is just tender and water has evaporated, about 6 minutes. Add sausage and lemon juice; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup salted water to a boil; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in cheese; season with salt and pepper. Serve sausage and asparagus over grits.