Chicken and Shrimp Paella
Spanish chorizo, available in many supermarkets, spices up this robust main course, and Arborio rice thickens the paella as it soaks up the dish's savory flavors.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, May 2008
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
- 1 link precooked Spanish chorizo, chopped (2 ounces)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined frozen medium shrimp, thawed
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high. Working in batches, cook chicken (do not crowd pot) until browned, 7 to 8 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a plate (reserve pot); set aside.
Place bell pepper, chorizo, onion, garlic, and tomatoes (with their juice) in pot; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add rice; cook, stirring, until translucent around edges, 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook until rice begins to soften, about 10 minutes. Add peas and shrimp, submerging them in liquid. Cover and cook until shrimp are opaque throughout, 4 to 6 minutes.