Southwestern Sirloin with Roasted Broccoli
Broccoli and a topping of salsa keep this seared-steak meal in the not-so-sinful zone.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 1
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2008
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 sirloin steak (about 5 ounces and 1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup store-bought salsa
Preheat toaster oven (or oven) to 450 degrees. On toaster-oven pan (or a rimmed baking sheet), toss together broccoli, garlic, and 1 teaspoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and slightly charred, 10 to 12 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Five minutes before broccoli has finished cooking, rub steak with cumin; season with salt and pepper. In a small skillet, heat remaining teaspoon oil over high. Add steak, and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Top steak with salsa, and serve with broccoli alongside.