Brown-Rice Bowl with Shrimp, Snow Peas, and Avocado
Avocado is right at home in this Asian-style supper of shrimp, snow peas, and brown rice. Serve the citrusy sauce on the side, or drizzle over each bowl.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2008
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1/2 pound snow peas, trimmed and halved on the diagonal
- 1 piece (1 inch long) fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 Hass avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups salted water to a boil. Add rice; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl or liquid-measuring cup, stir together soy sauce, lemon juice, vinegar, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Set sauce aside.
When rice has finished cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add shrimp, snow peas, and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Cook until shrimp are opaque throughout and snow peas are bright green, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide rice among four bowls. Top with shrimp mixture and avocado; serve sauce on the side.