Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken
Get out the slow cooker and get this surprising, satisfying meal ready while you're at work.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2007
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- Cooked white rice, for serving
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, coriander, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper.
Cook on high 4 hours (or on low, 8 hours) until fork-tender. Stir in yogurt, cilantro, and, if using, garam masala. Serve with rice.