Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This classic quick bread, provided by Raymond Forker of Savannah, Georgia, is a great way to use bananas that are just past their prime. The chocolate chips go well with the banana flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Source: Everyday Food, January/February 2006
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch (6-cup) loaf pan. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, zest, and salt. Mix in oil, eggs, and bananas. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into pan.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 70 to 80 minutes (tent loosely with foil if loaf browns too quickly). Cool loaf 10 minutes in pan; then turn out of pan and cool completely, right side up, on a rack.