Linguine with Zucchini and Tomato
This simple pasta dish is a satisfying supper.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: System Administrator
Source: Everyday Food, May 2006
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 zucchini (8 ounces each), halved crosswise, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and cut into 1/4-inch sticks
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips (see below)
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add zucchini and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water; return to pot. Add zucchini mixture, remaining tablespoon oil, tomatoes, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Serve immediately, sprinkled with remaining Parmesan.