Stir-Fried Egg Noodles with Chicken and Shrimp
The noodles for this dish are cooked into crisp individual pancakes that catch the juices from the vegetables, chicken, and shrimp.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 1996
- 8 ounces Chinese egg noodles (linguine can be substituted)
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium shallots (2 1/2 ounces total), peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium canned chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (2 breast halves), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and blanched
- 4 Thai chile peppers or 1 medium jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and cook until just tender, about 3 to 7 minutes, or according to package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and transfer to a large bowl. Add jalapeno, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well to combine and set aside.
In a small bowl combine shallots, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and stock; set aside.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Using tongs or a fork, transfer about a sixth of the noodles into skillet. Press noodles down with the back of a spatula and cook until crisp and golden, about 4 to 5 minutes; the noodles will cook together and form a pancake. Turn noodles over and cook the other side for 4 to 5 minutes more. Carefully transfer noodle pancake to a baking sheet and set in a low oven to keep warm. Repeat the process, cooking a sixth of the noodles at a time, until 6 pancakes have been formed.
Return skillet to medium heat and add the remaining teaspoon sesame oil. Add the chicken and cook, tossing often, until golden brown all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a small bowl. Cover with foil to keep warm.
Add scallions, broccoli rabe, chile peppers, and cabbage to skillet. Pour the reserved ginger-stock mixture over vegetables, raise heat to high, and cook until vegetables are limp and tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and add shrimp. Cook, stirring often, until shrimp is pink and opaque and chicken is hot, about 3 to 5 more minutes.
Remove the noodle pancakes from oven and place one on each of 6 plates. Divide the stir-fry among the pancakes and serve immediately.