Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
The recipe for this classic combination is from reader Julie Haifley of Washington, D.C.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Source: Everyday Food, April 2005
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for baking dish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups loosely packed finely grated carrots (3 to 4 medium)
- Cream Cheese Frosting for Carrot Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with oil; set aside. In a food processor, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and nutmeg; process to combine. Add sugar and yogurt; process until combined.
With processor running, add oil and then eggs, one at a time, processing until combined. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in carrots.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan.
Meanwhile, make frosting. With an offset spatula or a butter knife, spread frosting over top of cake. To serve, cut into squares.