Chunky Tomato Sauce for Basic Pizza
Use this easy sauce when making our Basic Pizza.
Source: Everyday Food, March 2004
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook onion and garlic until translucent, stirring, 3 minutes.
Add whole, peeled tomatoes (lightly crushed with hands), crushed tomatoes, oregano, and a pinch of sugar (optional).
Simmer, stirring until thickened, 10 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Freeze any leftover sauce for up to 3 months.