White Bean and Sausage Soup
This quick-to-prepare, hearty soup recipe comes from Margaret Simone of Singer Island, Florida.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, March 2004
- 3/4 pound sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium beef or chicken broth
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish
In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium- high heat, breaking it up with a spoon. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is browned and onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, until tomatoes are softened, about 10 minutes.
Stir in cannellini; simmer until heated through, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in basil. Garnish with grated Parmesan and whole basil leaves.