Grilled Portobello Quesadillas
Folding quesadillas into half-moons makes them more manageable on the grill. You can use store-bought salsa instead of making your own.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2003
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 to 5 portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound), trimmed and cleaned
- 4 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Grilled-Tomato Salsa, for serving
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Heat grill to medium. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Brush both sides of mushrooms with oil mixture; starting with stem side up, grill mushrooms until tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp paring knife, 8 to 12 minutes, turning once. Remove from grill; slice 1/2 inch thick.
Layer one half of each tortilla with cheese, scallions, mushroom slices, and then more cheese, dividing toppings evenly. Fold tortilla over filling; using your hands, carefully transfer filled tortilla to grill. Cook until tortilla is slightly charred and cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with salsa, and garnish with sour cream, if desired.