Try this bright, lemony dish with Middle Eastern-accented chicken or lamb.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2016
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 bulb fennel, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 English cucumber, halved and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint, chopped
In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add bulgur and allspice; stir until toasted, 2 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce to low, and cook until bulgur is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in a large bowl.
Add vegetables, tomatoes, lemon juice, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and 1 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Stir in parsley and mint. Serve, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 1 day.