Green-Chile Chicken Burgers
This lean burger gets plenty of flavor and juiciness from canned green chiles and fresh cilantro. Finish with sour cream for a creamy spread with a little extra tang.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2016
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Neutral oil, such as safflower, for brushing
- 1 beefsteak tomato, cut crosswise into 4 slices (each about 1/2 inch thick)
- 4 sesame buns, split
- Sour cream, green-leaf lettuce, and Dijon mustard (optional), for serving
Heat grill to medium-high. Combine chicken, cumin, chiles, chopped cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Divide mixture into 4 patties. Brush grates with oil and grill burgers, flipping once, until golden brown and a thermometer inserted into thickest parts registers 165 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes.
Lightly brush tomato slices with oil; grill, flipping once, until charred, 2 minutes. Season with salt. Grill buns, cut-sides down, just until toasted, about 1 minute. Serve burgers on grilled buns with tomato slices, cilantro sprigs, sour cream, lettuce, and mustard.