Teriyaki Chicken-Wing and Vegetable Skewers
Food clings well to both single- or double-pronged bamboo or wooden skewers, so you can use either for this recipe. They must both be soaked in cool water for half an hour before grilling to avoid catching fire.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2016
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger (from a 1-inch piece)
- 2 teaspoons grated garlic (from 2 cloves)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 whole chicken wings (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 Japanese eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch rounds
- 1 bunch scallions (about 8), white and light-green parts only, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 16 shishito peppers
- 2 bunches enoki mushrooms (3 1/2 ounces each), woody bottoms removed, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 slices bacon, halved crosswise, then lengthwise
- 12 ounces thick asparagus, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
- Safflower oil, for brushing
- Toasted sesame seeds, lemon wedges, and flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for serving
Soak 28 seven-inch bamboo skewers in water 30 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, combine soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, ginger, and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 2/3 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper; let cool.
Thread each chicken wing onto a skewer. Thread 2 pieces each eggplant and scallion onto skewers. Thread 2 pieces each shiitake and scallion onto skewers. Thread shishitos 4 per skewer. Divide enokis into 12 equal bundles; wrap each in a piece of bacon, then thread 3 per skewer. Thread asparagus 5 per skewer. Lightly brush eggplant, shiitake, and asparagus skewers with oil.
Preheat grill for direct-heat cooking (medium-high on a gas grill). Lightly brush grates with oil. Grill chicken skewers 5 minutes. Flip chicken and add eggplant and shiitake skewers; grill 5 minutes more. Flip chicken, eggplant, and shiitake skewers, and add shishito, bacon-wrapped enoki, and asparagus skewers; continue to grill until chicken is just cooked through, eggplant and shiitakes are tender, bacon is crisp and browned, and shishitos and asparagus are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes more. In the last minute of cooking, brush chicken, eggplant, and shiitake skewers with soy mixture a few times while flipping repeatedly.
Remove skewers from grill. Brush chicken, eggplant, and shiitake skewers with more soy mixture, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Sprinkle shishito, enoki, and asparagus skewers with flaky salt. Serve, with lemon wedges on the side.