Rigatoni with Sausage and Parsley
Pasta partners well with all kinds of flavors, from rich and creamy to sweet and spicy.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, May 2005
- 2 medium red onions halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 cups packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1 pound bulk spicy Italian sausage removed from casings and crumbled
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned, breaking apart large pieces with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and sausage is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Add broth; cook until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook 1 pound rigatoni (or other short tubular pasta) until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot.
Add sausage mixture, parsley, and Parmesan to pasta; toss to combine. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.