Tropical Fruit with Coconut-Pistachio Crunch
Feel free to use any tropical fruits in this salad; it's not so much what you choose but how good the fruit is, so pick only the ripest and most fragrant. If you like, serve with a dollop of sour cream on the side.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2016
- 1 cup shelled unsalted pistachios (5 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons mild honey, such as acacia
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus juice for serving
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch slices or cubed
- 1/2 large or 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 star fruits (carambolas), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 fresh lychees, peeled, halved, and seeded
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Toss together pistachios, coconut, oil, honey, lemon zest, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Spread on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring once, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Crunch can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Arrange fruits on a serving platter. Sprinkle with lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Serve, with crunch on the side.